Jefferson Township Ohio Fence Permit
This article covers how to get a permit for fence installation in Jefferson Township, Ohio. Please note that we will try to keep this information up to date but we do not represent Jefferson Township.
How to get a fence permit in Jefferson Township Ohio?
Complete an Application for a Zoning Permit
See https://www.jeffersontownship.org/Departments/Zoning-and-Building/Permits-Fees and file application online here.
Fees for Fence Permit:
$100 for residential.
Where to file the application:
You file the application online here.
Where to ask a question?
Call the Zoning & Building Department at (614) 855-4265. They also have a contact form you can use.
The Administrative Office for Jefferson Township is located at:
6545 Havens Road
Blacklick, Ohio 43004
Summary of Jefferson Township Ohio Fencing Regulations
Height of fencing:
- Fences in general limited to 6 feet in height.
- Fences between a street and front building line limited to 54 inches in height.
Construction of fences:
- No barbed wire or electric fences allowed.
- Open and partially open fences are allowed in any required yard or along the edge of any yard.
- Solid fences only allowed in rear yards.
- PVC fencing can only be black or white in color.
Jefferson Township Ohio Fence Regulations
You can find a complete copy of the Jefferson Township Zoning Resolution here. See below for the sections relevant to fence installation.
Section 805.02 – Lot Area and Yard Space Preserved
The lot area and yard space required for a use or structure shall be maintained during its life and shall not be reduced below the minimum requirement, occupied by another use or structure, or counted as yard space for any other use or structure.
A) Yards Required Open
The yard space required for a use or structure shall remain free of all obstructions except as follows:
1) Fences, gates, walls, columns, pillars, other similar type structures and landscaping shall be permitted in any required yard, or along the side of any yard. Except as otherwise provided herein, no fence, gate, wall, column, pillar or other similar type structure and landscaping shall exceed a maximum height of six (6) feet from the lowest part of the existing grade to the highest part of the structure. No fence, gate, wall, column, pillar, or other similar type structure and landscaping between a street and a front building line shall exceed a maximum of fifty-four (54) inches in height from the lowest part existing grade to the highest part of the structure, except as required in Article VIII, Section 835, or in accordance with an approved development plan of a planned district. Any ornamental or lighting fixtures attached to fences, gates, walls, columns, pillars, other similar type structures shall not exceed twelve (12) inches in height.
2) Fences, gates, walls, columns, pillars, and other similar type structures shall be located outside the public right of way.
3) The owner of the property upon which any fence, gate, wall, column, pillar, and other similar type structure is situated shall be responsible for its maintenance and repair.
4) No fence, gate, wall, column, pillar, and other similar type structure shall be permitted in a state of disrepair
C) Additional Fencing Regulations
1) Fences, gates, walls, columns, pillars, other similar type structures or other landscaping plantings shall not be erected without the issuance of a Certificate of Zoning Compliance. Applications for such permit shall include plans and drawings showing the actual and accurate shape and dimensions of the property upon which the fences, gates, walls, columns, pillars, other similar type of structure is to be erected; the exact height, location, length, type of material and type of construction of such proposed fence; the location of the buildings on the lot; or any such other information as deemed necessary for such permit.
2) The following fence types shall be permitted in required yards as follows:
a) Open fences, partially open fences, and hedges are permitted in any required yard or along the edge of any yard; and
b) Solid fences shall be permitted in all zoning districts, and in the rear yard only.
3) The following fences shall not be permitted in any zoning district or yard:
a) Fences, wall or other landscaping equipped with or having barbed wire, spikes, sharp points or any similar device or an electrical charge sufficient to cause shock shall be prohibited. In addition, chicken wire, poultry wire or hex netting fence consisting of a galvanized or PVC coated material shall be prohibited except where associated with a swimming pool in the rear yard. This section shall not be construed or applied to prohibit underground invisible fences installed for the purpose of confining pets to property.
b) Open chain link fences except those associated with approved tennis courts.
c) Vinyl clad, plastic or PVC (poly vinyl chloride) fences in colors other than black or white.